For the HSM June challenge – Metallics, I wanted to make something easy and fast, an using fabric from my stash, so I decided to make a 1920s “1-hour dress” from the remnant of the slinky (devilish) Rayon charmouse I used for my Greek dress a few months back.
I used the pattern layout guide from “The Closet Historian“, and got cracking.
The cut fabric
And the stitched dress (and Yup, I used the serger…)
Then I hemmed the neckline, sleeves and bottom and made a belt of the remaining fabric scraps.
While debating what to make for the challenge I realized that the word “Metallic’s” didn’t, as I first though, equals “Jewel-tone”, so my Turquoise dress did in fact not qualify for this one.
So I made planes to bling it out with some pretty beads or trimmings, and got as far as buying a nice silvery trim, before I realized I couldn’t find any nice way to attach it.
I tried a lot of different variations and didn’t feel happy with anyone.
It does look pretty in this picture, but I’m telling you, it didn’t in real life.
So I decided to scrap the whole “bling it out” idea, and just call it a day.
So without further ado here is the (Not HSM worthy entry) finished dress.
What: A 1920s daydress
Pattern: Made my own based on 1-hour dress layouts from the internet.
Fabric & Notions: 1,5 m of turquoise rayon charmouse and thread
Time & Cost: About 6 hours (1 hour my ass…), and 100 Sek (10Usd) for the fabric.
Final thoughts: It is a tad small over my hips but otherwise it turned out better then imagined. The making of took a lot linger then expected though and the fabric was the devil to work with:-(