Bonnets and a Bergeré

This spring/summer have been quite intense regarding sewing for me. And as every costume requires it’s own special headwear I haven’t just been making clothes this spring – there have been quite a lot millenery going on as well.

And since The Huge Picture Hatt alredy got its own post, I thought it was time to show a bit more about some of the other pieces of headwear I’ve been doing/re-doing this summer.

Lets start with the 18th century Bergere.

You might remember it from last year (when I made it from an regular sunhat).IMG_2593

This is how it looked when I found it in my big hat box, and decided to make some changes to it.
IMG_7859IMG_7858

So I un-picked those green pieces of fabric inside the hat (I put them in last year to get something to attach the hair pins in, but it does work better to just push them through the hat).

Then I stitched on some metalic wire at the edge of the brim, and covered it with white bias-tape.
IMG_7891
IMG_7892Then I re-trimmed it with a plain green twill-tape.

And this is how it looked when I wore it with the brim tured up, at the big historic picknic.IMG_8785

***

Next up is a  regular straw hat that I’ve turned into a regency bonnet.IMG_7073

I folded the hat in two, made a mark where to cut, IMG_7879

and grabbed the scissors. Make sure to stich the rows down before you cut, so the hat dont un-ravel.IMG_7880

Then I stiched on metal wire along the cut line, and covered it with bias tape.IMG_7889I used white bias tape at first , but decided to change it to a  nude tone twill tape instead, to make it more inviseble.

IMG_8656Close up of brown/nude twilltape.

The un-trimmed hat.
IMG_7895 IMG_7894
Then I pinned on some white lace and a big flower brosh I had in my stash.

IMG_8654

IMG_8653

IMG_8655

IMG_8657Altough it does look pretty, it looks a bit too costumey for my taste.

So I re-trimmed it using another piece of lace and some leftover ribbon from my yellow regency gown paired with a black brosch. Much better.IMG_9198

IMG_9195

IMG_9197

And here is how it looked worn togeter with my yellow regency dress.IMG_9132

 ***

And finaly a 1840s bonnet made from skratch.

I used the same pattern (and tecniques) as my brown velvet bonnet, only cut it a bit smaler to get a slimer model for this bonnet.

I used thick canvas and super stiff  interfacing as the inner layers. And a white striped cotton voile for fashion fabric.IMG_7870

Before sewing anything togeter I stiched wire to all the pieces.IMG_7875

It was a bit tricky to sew inside the hat piece.IMG_7882

At least I only broke one needle…IMG_7887

Then it was time to start the hand sewing.  IMG_7890I attached the “lid” and covered it with fashion fabric.IMG_7900Then I stiched on the brim and more fashion fabric (no pictures sorry). And finaly I attached the lining on the inside.

At this stage I was ready to throw it out, it looked so terrible. The fabric was puckering and nothing I did would make it lay flat. I did a final try and decided to trim it to see if that would make it look any better.

It is fantastic what some pieces of lace can do to a domed project. It does actually look presentable.IMG_0454

IMG_0452

IMG_0457

IMG_0449

IMG_0451

IMG_0453

An this is how it looked this weekend when I wore it for a photoshoot.IMG_0207(You even get a sneak a peak of my next HSF project)

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Bonnets and a Bergeré

  1. Beautiful hats! Remaking old hats is one of my favourite things to do, and with straw hats so easy and cheap to find, they are the best! These look like fun projects and have turned out wonderfully.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s